About AAA TexasServing Our Members Since 1904
1904 to the 1920s
The earliest forerunner of AAA Texas was the Dallas Automobile Club which organized in 1904 and affiliated with AAA in the same year. For 20 years, motor clubs formed in all the major cities including Houston, Galveston, San Antonio, El Paso, and Fort Worth, most of which joined the national federation. Dozens of smaller clubs formed during the 1920s such as Ennis, Waxahatchie, Lufkin, and Eastland County, but most of them perished during the Depression.
1920s to the 1950s
The regional clubs managed some significant accomplishments within their individual spheres of operation. In 1926, the Dallas club erected 1,200 highway signs within a 100-mile radius of the city. The Fort Worth club was active in safety education and notable for sponsoring school safety patrols even as membership declined in the 1930s.
AAA set up its Texas Division in 1950 to assure that motor club services would be available throughout the state. Initially based in Austin and later relocated to Houston, the Texas Division brought statewide focus to the previously fragmented situation.
AAA Texas Division began the first advocacy program on behalf of the state's motorists. The Division pushed for the Texas Safety Responsibility Law, enacted in 1952, which included the state's first insurance requirements and established the enforcement of traffic laws as a responsibility of state government.
1950s to the present
During the 1950s and 1960s, most of the regional clubs merged into AAA Texas Division. Formal statewide consolidation was achieved in 1970 when all the clubs in the state became operating units within the Texas Division.