1904 to 1950
The earliest forerunner of AAA Texas was the Dallas Automobile Club, which organized and affiliated with AAA in 1904. For 20 years, motor clubs formed throughout the state in major cities including Houston, Galveston, San Antonio, El Paso, and Fort Worth, most of which joined the national federation. Dozens of smaller clubs formed in places such as Ennis, Waxahatchie, Lufkin, and Eastland County, but most of them perished during the Depression.
The regional clubs managed significant accomplishments within their individual spheres of operation. In 1926, the Dallas club erected 1,200 highway signs within 100 miles of the city. The Fort Worth club was active in safety education and sponsored school safety patrols even as membership declined in the 1930s.